Album: The Downward Spiral
Artist: Nine Inch Nails
Label: Nothing Records (TVT/Interscope)
Year: 1994
Rating: 5/5
Summary: A depressive masterpiece. Highly recommended.

Released after the noisy Broken EP and before the relatively clean album The Fragile, The Downward Spiral is arguably Nine Inch Nails's magnum opus. Inspired by David Bowie's Low and Pink Floyd's The Wall, it is an immensely depressing and presumably semi-autobiographical album that charts the descent of a fictional character.

Faced with losing the comfort of his religion, the album's protagonist plummets into a state of total despair. After trying unsuccessfully to find solace in his lover's embrace, which only serves to make him feel guilty about his desire for her, he starts to withdraw from the pain of the real world. In the end, he eventually realises his only escape is killing himself.

In keeping with the dramatic nature of this album, the music employs leitmotif. Similarly, various lines are repeated obsessively, as if the protagonist is trying to reassure himself of something he knows deep down to be a lie: firstly that "Nothing can stop me now because I don't care anymore," then "You didn't hurt me, nothing can hurt me," which is finally replaced with the simple plead "Kill me."

As far as the music itself goes, Trent Reznor writes good tunes, but refuses to make them accessible. The odd catchy guitar riff is more than offset by a penchant for interesting time signatures, detuned instruments, harsh sounds, extreme dynamic ranges - often alternating between intimate whispers and shouting - and a frankly scary soundscape of decaying organic noise that disgusts you at first, but eventually grows on you with repeated listens.

The Downward Spiral is one of the few albums that has made me cry with empathy, during the cathartic release provided by the regressive instrumental piece A Warm Place, and is a beautiful work of art.

This album is possibly dangerous because it depicts total despair in a way that envelopes the listener like only music can. Despite this, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this masterpiece to anybody who knows what complete depression feels like. It is in a class of its own.