I'd be interested to know if The God Delusion converts anyone from having religious beliefs to adopting an atheist stance, but I'm not getting my hopes up. As Dawkins himself points out, religions themselves - if not their followers - benefit from tricking people into avoiding such rational debate in the first place. It probably doesn't help that this book is filled with similes comparing religions to everything from the common cold to the tendency of moths to fly into burning flames. Richard Dawkins doesn't go out of his way to insult any religions, but if anything the sincerity of his comparisons probably makes them sound even worse.

For atheists, however, this book is another story altogether. It should indeed convert people, albeit convert them from vague atheists to articulate atheists armed with many good points of argument against the likelihood of any gods existing. This is where the book really is useful: at preparing atheists to better refute any twisted logic that a fundamentalist may start to preach when he inevitably imposes his views upon them.

The God Delusion is largely about Darwinian evolution. As a result, Dawkins covers a lot of ground already familiar to anyone who has seen his Christmas lectures, watched The Blind Watchmaker or The Root of All Evil, or read any of his previous books.

The model of evolution is presented not just as an alternative to religion as a theory to explain where we come from, but also as a theory to explain why we are susceptible to religions in the first place and why religions themselves have mutated into their current forms over the millennia. The God Delusion therefore also explores a lot of new territory as Dawkins sets out to show that religions are inadequate explanations of our origins, unnecessary, and redundant, and goes on to explain their existence, all in rational, logical, scientific terms.

My favourite version of The God Delusion is the audiobook, for the simple reason that Richard Dawkins and his wife Lalla Ward read the text in enthusiastic yet mild mannered tones of voices that don't necessarily come across so well on the printed page.

I don't know if it'll convert any religious people, but I'd certainly recommend it to any atheists who want some good, logical arguments they can use against religion.