A cell phone, or mobile phone, is the bane of our society. It allows people to be contacted when they do not wish to be. It annoys people on trains and buses ("Hello, I'm on the train."). It bleeps in such a manner that everybody within a radius of 20 metres checks their bags or pockets, even those without cellphones. Pagers at least allowed you to ignore people trying to get in touch with you, but with cell phones there is no escape.

In some countries (e.g. Sweden) the cell phone companies actually give out information about where a particular user is at the time, as you can be tracked by which cell you are in.

To stop cell phones going off in restaurants, museums, cinemas etc., there is a device which blocks the microwaves going to the phone, but these are illegal in the UK (I'm not sure about other countries).

There is a wide range of accessories available for the cell phone, for example cases, handsfree kits, car kits, changeable fascias, light-up antennae, flashing keyrings, and many more.

In the UK, if you use a cell phone while driving, you can be fined for not paying due care and attention, or for not maintaining proper control of the vehicle.

In short, though the mobile telecommunications industry has been given a boost by the invention of the cell phone, other companies will join me in renouncing it as a cheaper alternative to SRBRs.
Telecommunication is not for the feeble-minded.


The Nodeshell Rescue Team