I've been living in La Jolla for almost a decade now. I've wandered down the scenic drive to the downtown area plenty of times, and I know the area rather well. I used to get drunk at the Karl Strauss brewery and then stumble about for hours. Just doing the usual stuff though, like getting some coffee at The Living Room or going out on the breakwater to watch the large, nightly congregations of seals lounging about.

But Porkyland? I hadn't a clue where that was. The name conjured up images of a Porky the Pig version of Chuck E. Cheese's. I figured its entrance would be decorated with a 5 foot high ceramic statue of a big fat pig. I even half expected to see John Cusack in the back wearing a pig's snout and singing Van Halen songs. It turned out to be some fairly standard Mexican restaurant hidden away near a grocery store. Whatever. It did have some amusing napkins. On the counters of the restaurant were essentially these oversized toilet paper dispensers and you'd pull out a stream of paper, tearing at whichever periodic perforation you wanted. Pretty cool.

I think it was Yurei who donned a stream of napkin paper as if it were his scarf, and he was a WWI flying ace. With his flattop haircut and his shirt that said Guerilla Tactics, when you added the faux pilot's scarf, I couldn't help but remember that Russian pilot from that cheesy 80's movieThe Experts. (Does anybody else know that movie? I see it every so often on TBS or something.) Anyhow, if you know the movie, and if you remember the Russian pilot, that's what Yurei reminded me of with that scarf.

Anyhow, I only stayed around for the dinner part. I had to get somewhere else by 9pm. But I got into the picture. I'm the pale blonde haired guy buried in the middle of the picture looking fairly serious and/or glum. So I didn't get any of the drunkenness that other people mentioned. I just heard lots of funny stories about: The Celtic People, that white supremist photography shop in LA where my germanic appearance should pick me up some good deals, the interesting cuisine of Bangkok, enough information about Reno to encourage me to take my AR-15 with me if I ever go there, some funny speculation as to how some scientists ever found a correlation between one's optic nerves and the back of one's knees, and some vague references to chupacabras. All in all it was pretty damn funny and I'm glad I went.

Also, ribald ongoings between Chihuahua Grub and prole freaked me out when I first heard of them. See, I hadn't really checked out all of the attendees prior to the get together. And when those two arrived, they dressed so alike and sort of looked alike, so I had this personal theory that they were twins or something. So I was thrown for a loop about 1/4 of the way through Chihuahua Grub's writeup. Am I the only one who noticed how similar they looked? Maybe it was just that they both had equivalently good fashion sense.