One of the conic sections. In this vein, its relatives are the circle, the ellipse and the hyperbola. The generating equation for a parabola centered on the origin is y=ax2 for some constant a. Other parabolic shapes can be generated with the equation y=ax2n for some constant a in the real numbers and n in the natural numbers.

The defining characteristic of a parabola is that each point is equidistant from a point P and a line L which does not pass through the point. To this end, each point of a parabola is the center of a circle whose edge passes through the point P and touches the line L. The idea of a circle comes into play because each point on the edge of a circle is equidistant from the center.
Uses: mirrors in telescopes or headlights; parabolic surfaces in sound reflection; etc. The reason for these uses is that radiated energy from the focus of the parabola always ends up travelling in one direction. For example, a headlight contains a light source and a parabolic mirror. When any particular light beam from the light source hits the sides of the parabolic mirror, that beam is then directed in one direction (and only that direction, ignoring diffusion), parallel to all the other light beams which have bounced off the mirror. This is a partial laser effect; it is not complete since most light beams are significantly diffused at production, and few mirrors are "perfect".