This recipe is quite simple. My boyfriend and I were craving banana pudding one lazy Friday evening, and when we got to the store we decided that (1) we were going to use actual bananas, not weird pseudo-banana powder and (2), we were going to use soy milk because, well, SOY makes you strong! The following is what we came up with, in a fit of kitchen inspiration.

Ingredients:

  • 2 bananas, any stage of ripeness (well, except hard and green)
  • 5 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 5 cups soy milk
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2/3 cup sugar

First, peel the bananas and turn them into mush, ideally by means of a food processor (the quickest way to pulverize a banana!). Then, heat the banana, sugar, and soy milk together over medium heat.

When the mixture nears bubbling, add the cornstarch one tablespoon at a time, stirring with a wire wisk all the while. Pour in the eggs.

Cook over the same medium heat level for about 10 minutes. You don't necessarily need to stir constantly, but it is definitely a good idea to keep scraping the bottom of the pan from time to time, to avoid a layer of yucky burned-on banana concrete on the bottom.

10 minutes or so of cooking will assure that the eggs are indeed cooked fully. I'm extremely paranoid when it comes to food poisoning, so I always make sure my eggs are cooked! The mixture will thicken and begin to get a bit "stringy"; at this point, you will know it is time to turn off the heat and let the pudding cool.

During the cooling process the stuff will thicken somewhat. After about 30 minutes of sitting, the pudding was at an edible yet slightly runny consistency that was not at all unpleasant. The texture should be smooth for the most part, with a few chunks of banana here and there.

Overall, the banana soy pudding experiment went well. I think I would prefer it lightly chilled and somewhat thicker; if anyone actually tries this, they might want to add a bit more cornstarch and refrigerate the pudding for a while afterward.


No monkeys or lesbians were harmed in the making of this pudding. I cannot, however guarantee the safety of the soy!