I made it a project one year to learn how to make upside down cakes. They're easier than I thought. Didn't even take a year. The trick is you will need something like a cast iron skillet - it has to go from the stove to the oven so forget your plastic handled nonstick skillet. If you follow the instructions on seasoning your cast iron skillet, you don't have to worry about the cake sticking. Plus it's cast iron. Makes a good weapon.

List of Stuff for topping:
half a stick of butter
.75 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 c. pineapple chunks
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and cut into quarter-inch sized pieces
1/3 c. macadamia nuts, halved

List of stuff for cake:
1 c. cake flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
a pinch salt
1 stick softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 tsps vanilla
2 large eggs
1 c shaken buttermilk

Baker Make me a Cake:In a 10" cast iron skillet melt butter over moderate heat, making sure it covers the bottom, until foam subsides.Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and let heat, undisturbed for 3 minutes. It may not all melt. That's cool. Remove skillet from the heat and arrange fuit and macadamia nuts over the brown sugar, taking care not to disturb the brown sugar mixture. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together all dry cake batter ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. With mixer on low, add buttermilk. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches and mix until just combined well. Spoon batter over topping, once again taking care not to disturb the topping. Bake in the middle of the oven 40-45 minutes until bottom is golden and springy to touch, and a toothpick inserted halfway comes out clean. Immediately run a thin knife around the edge of the skillet to loosen the cake, and invert a plate on to the skillet. Flip the whole thing over, holding the plate tightly to the skillet. It is now a rightside up cake. Lift off the skillet carefully. Any fruit that is stuck to the skillet can just be replaced on top of the cake. Voila. You are now most impressive.