The Zambezi is the fourth largest river system of Africa and home to the Victoria Falls. Starting as a little spring in north-west Zambia, the river runs for 2700 km through six countries before it ends up in the Indian Ocean. It enters Angola where it accumulates most of its headwater drainage, then passes back to Zambia at the Cholwezi rapids. It then serves as border with Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe; the latter stretch is 500 kms long and is where the Victoria Falls can be found. The last country it enters is Mozambique.

The great hydroelectricity-generating potential of the river is collected in a small plant at Victoria Falls and at the Kariba Dam, which has created one of the world's largest lakes made by man. The last dam so far is the Cabora Bassa in Mozambique. The river is also much used for transport between the various rapids, and for rafting in some of them.

The great flood of water naturally supports a great number of humans and wildlife along its way. It is surrounded by a number of national parks and supports one of Africa's most important wilderness areas. Being a border river creates some problems with regards to legislation and wildlife protection, as hunting or fishing may be prohibited on one side but not on the other. Still, the river has kept running so far.