Dear Dr. Augustine,

I am well aware of your reputation as one of Everything2 and the world's finest scientists. However, I find your article on "(blank) Selective Visual Impairment" (although very interesting) rather troubling, largely because it contains many empty spaces in places where one would expect to find words.

I understand that the subject of your discourse concerns a grazing, possibly ruminant beast which may appear as a different creature to the sufferer of the malady that you describe, who may also experience a complete inability to see these animals and related objects. May I suggest that a form of this terrible disability extends to the inability to see words and concepts related to the creature?

Being affected myself, I cannot say what this fantastic beast that you speak of might be. I have, however, observed the occasional herd of yeti or dementors peacefully grazing in fields in the states of Kentucky and Indiana, even though it is a well-known fact that the husbandry of these creatures is not practiced in North America. On occasion I have observed subspace fissions, wormholes, and fuzzy images of a bald gentleman in a red tunic when driving past such fields. I am also not allowed to give blood because they say that I may have "mad (blank) disease" on account of being a native of the European continent and sometime resident of the British Isles. I do understand that many other cultures view us as being utterly barmy but calling it a disease so awful that they had to bleep out the middle part always seemed a bit unkind. Perhaps I am missing something due to my affliction?

The possibility of having a disorder such as you describe is not new to me. Several years ago, I discovered that I had a problem seeing wildebeest. For a long time I understood this to be a form of Selective Visual Impairment but this was resolved when my therapist determined that it was due to the fact that I do not live in Africa. He then helpfully suggested acquiring cable television and watching channels with nature shows. This solved the problem. I can now see wildebeest on an almost daily basis, along with meerkats, lemurs, and a plethora of exotic mandibles.

I take morphine three times a day and my thetan count, thank Xenu, has been minimal since 1993 so those therapeutic approaches don't seem to work for me. Please let me know if switching to another broadcast medium such as satellite TV and acquiring more channels would help me see the creatures of which you speak. I would be even more grateful if these creatures could also supply a calcium-rich substance with which to enhance my coffee and make pudding.

I am aware of the ramifications of posting an article under a title that I cannot see but am willing to take a chance in order to solicit the help of one of the eminent scientific minds of our time. I anxiously await your response.

Selectively Yours,

alex