A general (and valid) complaint voiced by self-styled hackers when they mean something more specific. Also a subset of lazy journalism.

Take a given higher-up in the American media. Likely she spent her undergraduate years on communications, journalism, English. Some such liberal arts degree heavily deemphasizing the technical side of education, creating a journalist both unskilled with technology and skeptical of her audience's stomach for it. As a result, reports on technical subjects addressed to a popular audience tend to do away with details and context that would lend the piece meaning, or otherwise get these details completely wrong.

The hacker's more specific intended critique focuses on the confusion of the terms "hacker" and "cracker" detailed in the above postings. It is a relentless pursuit of a concept or term to identify oneself in a positive light as a nerd, guru, BOFH, sysop or otherwise socially unenviable caste. While there are always exceptions, these stereotypes are not of charismatic people. The stereotypical hacker (or cracker if you prefer) would not be one to calmly address someone else's label for them in a bid to affect change on an interpersonal level. They'd sulk about it, flip out, or at best fail to convince anyone.

The attempted purification of "hacker" mirrors the hacker/cyberpunk culture's self-destructive tendency towards being different at all costs. The further from fashion my wearable computer sets me, the better.