BDSM is really a very compacted acronym, and in its extended form expands to: Bondage and Discipline, Domination and Submission, Sadism and Masochism.

BDSM is a large catch-phrase that encompasses a very wide variety of sexual practices and relationships.

Most practitioners go by three rules, sometimes known as SSC, which stands for "Safe, Sane, and Consensual." The first is keeping everyone involved from true harm, the second is keeping everyone from going off the edge, and the third and most important, is that everyone must have given informed consent to the activities they intend to perform.

Why are these things so important? you might ask. Well, it's because we are messing with big, powerful things. The power of sex, the power of submission, the power of sadism - these are all very strong and can deeply touch people. For this reason, communication is intensely important, and many of us use things like safewords.

For a more unfortunate reason, many of the sexual acts that practitioners do are illegal. Many states still have laws against sodomy, which often includes oral sex (so, this may mean you too!)! Practicing sadists can often easily be charged with battery, against the wishes of their partner. Finally, for those with children, there is the ever present danger that Child Protection Services will come and take those loved ones away.

Like generations of homosexuals, people into any aspect of BDSM are easily persecuted by the mainstream population. I can only hope it changes.


slim, don't half those buttons say "sumbit" anyway?