Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh…it is morphing time!

Gilgamesh, third battle. Final Fantasy V

Gilgamesh is a recurring character in the Final Fantasy series of video games. It’s portrayed as a dimension-jumping warrior and it’s perhaps the only true recurrent character in the series (as shown by his dialogues in FF VIII). In-universe, Gilgamesh is often a powerful boss, proficient with in many character classes and able to use several kinds of weapons. It is also accompanied by the faithful Enkidu.

Some of his aspects are inspired by the mythological Benkei (Wikipedia), most notably: both carry several weapons on their backs, both collect weapons from defeated foes and both have important fights on a bridge (see Battle at the Big Bridge and Gojo Bridge). Gilgamesh is also associated with Genji armor, apparently associated with the Minamoto clan (see postscript below)

As of the time of this writeup, Gilgamesh has appeared as a character in:

More info at https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gilgamesh_(character)


Postscript: The most excellent Clockmaker notes:

»Genji« is just an alternate reading of the characters in »Minamoto«, just like »Heike« is the alternate of »Taira«. That's why the civil war between the Minamoto and Taira clans is called the Gempei War.


Poincaré conjectureAndy’s Brevity Quest 2019 (245words) → An approximation to e