A couple years ago a friend of mine mentioned that he didn't wash his hair. I thought this was kind of odd, especially since his hair looked fine. He clarified that he rinsed his hair, he just didn't shampoo it. This may sound disgusting, repulsive, or even fundamentally wrong to you. It certainly did to me. Now, though, I don't shampoo my hair either.

It turns out that shampoo gets rid of a whole lot of natural oils produced by your scalp which are great for your hair. For the first week or two of only rinsing, your hair will feel a little bit greasy and unpleasant because it takes a while for the oils to be produced again and to really set into the hair and do their work.

After this, though, you have a brand new self-cleaning head of hair! As long as you rinse it as regularly as you would normally shampoo it, it won't get dirty and it won't feel icky or anything. Your new head of hair will feel a bit different, though. It will generally feel thicker and you can definitely feel the oils, but it doesn't feel gross like you might expect.

Besides the obvious advantages of saving money on shampoo and not wasting bodily resources, another good thing about self-cleaning hair is that it is tremendously manageable and easy to style however you want; I don't have bad hair days anymore. Many people waste lots of their time and use many unnecessary hair care products to get them that "pseudo-messy-just-got-out-of-bed-look". This is accomplished easily if you don't shampoo your hair by just ruffling it up a bit with your hand; it'll keep the pose. If you want it neat and formal again for that big date, funeral, or business meeting, you can just tame it down with your hand in two seconds flat.

This may not be the best idea for people with long hair who want it shiny and perfect, but for those with short to medium length hair, it has the potential to change your life for the better.


Jinmyo and Old Nick have good points. A Shampoo at least once every month or so is probably a good idea. I've noticed the matted and dulled appearance that Jinmyo mentioned when I've left it for longer than that.