In Christianity, fasting is considered to be a spiritual discipline. Fasting involves denying yourself some form of sustenance (certain foods or all foods and/or drinks) for a period of time. Fasting is often combined with prayer, bible study, or meditation to elevate the spiritual aspect of the fast.

The word fast is derived from the Hebrew term tsom, which refers to the practice of self-denial. In New Testament (koine) Greek (including the Septuagint), the word nesteia is used, which is fully synonymous.

Biblical Basis for Fasting:

  • Fasting is neither mentioned nor required by the Mosaic law set forth in the Pentateuch, although Moses fasted for 40 days and 40 nights while receiving the Law from God.
  • Fasting appears by example in a number of places in the Old Testament as an expression of mourning. It is thought that the practice of fasting originated with the natural loss of appetite due to times of great distress.
    • Nehemiah 1:4 (NET): When I heard these things I sat down abruptly, crying and mourning for several days. I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
    • Nehemiah 9:1 (NET): On the twenty-fourth day of this same month the Israelites assembled; they were fasting and wearing sackcloth, their heads covered with dust.
    • Esther 4:3 (NET): Throughout each and every province where the king's edict and law were announced there was considerable mourning among the Jews, along with fasting, weeping, and sorrow. Sackcloth and ashes were characteristic of many.
    • Daniel 9:3 (NET): So I turned my attention to the Lord God to implore him by prayer and requests, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.
  • A major Old Testament teaching regarding fasting can be found in Isaiah 58:3-7.
    "They lament, 'Why don't you notice when we fast? Why don't you pay attention when we humble ourselves?' Look, at the same time you fast, you satisfy your selfish desires, you oppress your workers. Look, your fasting is accompanied by arguments, brawls,and fistfight]. Do not fast as you do today, trying to make your voice heard in heaven. Is this really the kind of fasting I want? Do I want a day when people merely humble themselves, bowing their heads like a reed and stretching out on sackcloth and ashes? Is this really what you call a fast, a day that is pleasing to the LORD? No, this is the kind of fast I want. I want you to remove the sinful chains, to tear away the ropes of the burdensome yoke, to set free the oppressed, and to break every burdensome yoke. I want you to share your food with the hungry and to provide shelter for homeless, oppressed people. When you see someone naked, clothe him! Don't turn your back on your own flesh and blood!" (Isaiah 58:3-7, NET)
  • Jesus' teachings about fasting:
    • Matthew 6:16-18 (NET): "When you fast, do not look sullen like the hypocrites, for they make their faces unattractive so that people will see them fasting. I tell you the truth, they have their reward. When you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others when you are fasting, but only to your Father who is in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.
    • Mark 2:18-20 (NET): Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. So they came to Jesus and said, "Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples don't fast?" Jesus said to them, "The wedding guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they do not fast. But the days are coming when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and at that time they will fast.
    Jesus expected that His disciples would fast, and gave them guidelines on appropriate behavior while fasting as well as when fasting would not be appropriate.
  • Fasting in the Early Church:
    • Acts 13:2-3 (NET): While they were serving the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Then, after they had fasted and prayed and placed their hands on them, they sent them off.
    • Acts 14:23 (NET): When they had appointed elders for them in the various churches, with prayer and fasting they entrusted them to the protection of the Lord in whom they had believed.
    Fasting in the 1st Century Christian Church was performed both as a matter of routine and targeted for special purposes, like commissioning leaders of the Church.

History and Development of Fasting

  • For the first couple centuries, fasting was a widely practiced discipline, although an optional one. Fasting was often done on Wednesdays and Fridays, so that they would not be confused with the Pharisees, who fasted on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • In the third century A.D., fasting was declared mandatory in preparation for receiving the sacraments of Holy Communion, baptism, and ordination.
  • In the 6th century A.D., the feast of Lent was extended from its original 40 hours (the traditional amount of time spent by Christ in the grave) to a period of 40 days.
  • In the 6th century A.D., Benedict of Nursia wrote a book of precepts for monastic life called the Rule of St Benedict. This book became the primary source for guidelines on living a cloistered life or the life of a hermit. In Chapter 4, the love of fasting is listed as one of the Instruments of Good Works. In Chapter 30, fasting is listed as a potential punishment for boys. Fasting is mentioned in a number of other locations in the Rule as a part of the liturgical calendar.
  • In 998 A.D., the Roman Catholic Church instituted fasting on Fridays and during Lent for all adult parishoners, and declared it a sin for anyone to refuse the fast without permission from their clerical superior. Any priest or deacon of the church would be degraded from their ordination for failing to properly follow the instituted fasts.
  • In 1505 A.D., Martin Luther joined the Augustinian monastery in Erfurt, dedicating himself to prayer and fasting. However, he later rejected the monastic methodology as part of the Protestant reformation.
  • In 1620 A.D., the pilgrims fasted the day before disembarking from the Mayflower.
  • In 1983 A.D., the Roman Catholic Church issued the current Code of Canon Law. Fasting in the Catholic church is dictated by Canons 1250-1253:
    • Canon 1250: All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.
    • Canon 1251: Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
    • Canon 1252: All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.
    • Canon 1253: It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

Types of Fasts:

  • The standard fast is the most commonly practiced type of fast (for Protestants). In this fast, you ingest only certain liquids (water and/or juice). The duration of this fast can be any period between 1 and 40 days, although longer fasts should only be attempted after receiving medical advice from your physician.
  • The Catholic fast involves eating only one meal in the day, usually at the beginning of the day. Later variations on this fast include up to two collations, or small snacks, as part of the daily fast. This version of fasting can be easily extended for a long period, and was routinely performed by monks and priests during Lent.
  • The absolute fast allows no food or water at all, and should be very short (usually a day or less), as going without water for an extended period of time is very dangerous.
  • The partial fast omits certain foods, or limits your diet to only specific allowed foods. One Biblical example of a partial fast is Daniel's commitment to eat only fruits, vegetables, and grains. This fast is easily sustainable over a longer period, and is also generally safe for diabetics.

Reasons to Fast

  • Fasting helps focus our minds on God and things of the Spirit rather than matters of the flesh.
  • Fasting helps us practice exercising our willpower and denying ourselves in favor of God's worship.
  • Fasting helps up gain empathy for those people who live in poverty and for whom starvation is a stark reality.
  • Occasional fasting can be beneficial to our health. It can help clean out our systems and purge toxins, especially if drinking a lot of water as part of the fast.

How to practice fasting appropriately

  • Start small - don't try to start with a 40-day fast, or even a 3-day fast. A good way to start is to perform a Catholic-style fast: eat a hearty breakfast, then nothing else for the rest of the day. Then you can try for larger periods.
  • Determine your commitment at the beginning - it may help to put your commitment in writing. Determine what kind of fast you will practice, when you will start the fast, and when you will finish the fast.
  • Don't forget that fasting is not a solo discipline - plan at least some time during the fast to spend time in prayer, meditation, or Bible study. Good times to do this are at the beginning and end of the fast period and during the times where you would ordinarily be eating meals.
  • Don't parade your fasting - your commitment to a time of fasting is a matter between yourself and God. At most, you should share your commitment only with a spiritual mentor or accountability partner.
  • Don't allow fasting to become simply routine - this is a time to spend in fellowship with and submission to God. If it helps, don't establish a schedule, and don't do it so often that it loses meaning.

Fasting can be an enriching experience that helps greatly in the process of spiritual formation and in walking more closely with God, as long as it is approached with solemnity and care.

References:
The NET Bible - http://www.bible.org
Fasting for Spiritual Break Through (Elmer L. Towns)
Catholic Online: Lent - Fasting and Abstinence - http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/abfast.php