I know I am going to suffer some downvotes for this, but I must rant.

I am so sick of hypocritical patriotism! It seems that some people who would never even own a flag, have rushed out to buy several to hang from every available space they can find.

The same goes, btw, for prayer. For years, all I've heard about is keeping prayer out of school and separation of church and state. Then a national tragedy occurs, and what do you know, our nation is "called to prayer". I am a Christian who believes there is a reason for separation of church and state...but I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to live in the USA. Sadly, I often take the freedom I have for granted. At the same time, I am not blind to the fact that the US is not the ONLY country in the world. I think it's very sad how many Americans can be so ego-centric when it comes to their attitudes toward other countries.

The horrific events of a few weeks ago have made me deeply sad, angry and scared. However, I didn't hang a flag on my car before 9/11/01, and I'm not going to now. It's just not something I do, and it annoys me when people try to force me to wear ribbons and flags. This does not make me any less of a good citizen than the person who paints his house red, white and blue. It just makes me less visible.

And if I have to hear that sodding Lee Greenwood song one more time, I may have to kill someone!