OK, so here's how not to make the eggplant rounds for that recipe. You're much better off making grilled eggplant rounds than these. They take ages to make, you'll fill your kitchen with choking black smoke, you'll use up all the oil you've got, they'll absorb all that oil, they'll burn, your fingers will also burn, you'll be lucky not to burn down your kitchen, and they won't come out as nice. Still, it's the traditional way to make them. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO MAKE THEM THIS WAY! So why don't you head over to grilled eggplant rounds and make yourself some nice, healthy, easy to prepare grilled eggplant rounds?

Not convinced? Still here? What are you, some kind of freak?

OK, so maybe you don't have a grill. Still, don't make these unless you're really not afraid of hot oil.

So you've sliced rounds off some unpeeled eggplants, and you've let them stand in salt for a while. This is important, you know, because you've got to draw out all the moisture, or bad things will happen when you put them in your frying pan.

Now heat some oil in a frying pan. TIP: use 2 pans, if you think you can handle the action.

When oil is quite hot, wipe moisture off some rounds with a paper towel and CAREFULLY place in oil. If boiling hot oil doesn't jump at you and burn your hands, it's probably not hot enough, and your eggplant will absorb even more oil than usual. Are you sure you don't just want to make grilled eggplant rounds?

Now, no matter how much oil you've put into the pan and how much moisture you've managed to remove from the rounds, they'll still make a huge splattering mess of oil. This is a good time to decide to make grilled eggplant rounds instead of frying them.

Stubborn, aren't you? OK, after maybe 3-5 minutes in the frying pan, you'll notice they've absorbed all the oil! Press down on the rounds to free the oil, then turn them over. They should have a nice brown colour. But even if they're black, it's just superficial and they're probably nice; just remember to serve them black side down, as they're tastier that way.

Anyway, fry the other side for considerably less time than you did the first. Remove and place on paper towels, to absorb the oil. Add even more oil to the frying pan(s) for the next set of rounds. By now, your pan(s) are probably incredibly hot, so you might want to consider lowering the flames a bit, BEFORE the whole thing catches fire. Or you could just give up and make grilled eggplant rounds.

Continue until all your fingers are burnt, your kitchen is filled with black smoke, your fire alarm's triggered, your pans have burnt, and you've finished frying all the rounds.

Remember! If you can still breathe normally, you're probably not doing it right! Why not go over to grilled eggplant rounds, and do it the easy way instead?