Although it is a less accepted image of the succubus, it must be pointed out that succubi are also thought by some to be hags, or witches practising the black arts. Anton LaVey, a notorious practitioner of the black arts, instructed and advocated occult attacks where a witch would visit a man of her choosing in order to force sexual activity. She would actually turn into a demon.

These black magicians thought that, by achieving a state similar to astral projection, they could visit the victim and then return to their normal state. The 'visit' was achieved by forcing an image of herelf into the mind of the man she desires and then climaxing through masturbation or force of will, prompting a similar reaction in the victim. This may sound appealing, but this imposition can be menacing, draining, or dangerous if either party is psychologically disturbed. Some people believe succubi can even kill you through exhaustion. And maybe you are here because you are worried about such a thing...

If you truly do believe you are being visited by a succubus (in which case I propose you look here for a more earthy, credible cause of distress), you should try the following, which is found in European lore as a method of protection against succubi:

  • Placement of a table fork under your pillow
  • Placing a pen knife on your breast (this and the fork are great for when you want to have a good nights sleep, but don't mind waking up in the middle of the night gored and bloody...)
  • Tying a hag stone around your bed post
  • Sleeping with a sifter on or under your head (the latest in stylish sleep wear).

While the first two methods have no obvious explanation (perhaps to attack the she-demon as she has her way with you?), the latter two are believed to prevent the succubus from attacking you as she must continue to pass through all the holes the entire night.

A succubus won't take it slow, see how things develop...if you were to encounter one I'd search the kitchen cupboards, and invest in some gauze for those wounds. However appealing it is to have a woman want you, remember - a succubus is not your dream girl.