Ryan Refectory is the Alumni Quadrangle dining hall at the University of Connecticut, named after J. Ray Ryan. Ryan was known in Connecticut sports and education circles for his own athletic achievements as well as for being the organizer and chairman of the Albie Booth Memorial Game, a football game between the New York Giants and the New York Jets to benefit New Haven charities. The first of these games took place in 1969 at the Yale Bowl. Until that exhibition game the two teams had never competed against each other.

    Born in Bloomfield, New Jersey, Ryan grew up in the Newhallville section of New Haven. He attended Hillhouse High School and then went on to Connecticut Agricultural College, where he captained the basketball team his senior year as well as lettering in football, basketball, and baseball; he refused an offer to play professional baseball with the Cleveland Indians. In 1970 the Connecticut Sports Writers Alliance rewarded him with a Gold Key award.

    Ryan worked as an executive at Southern New England Telephone Company for forty years, retiring in 1970 as general manager of support service. He also served on the University of Connecticut Board of Trustees from 1944-1964. After living in the Connecticut towns of Simsbury, Newington and New Haven, he retired to Delray Beach, Florida, where he resided until his death in 1988.


--back to University of Connecticut--