Lord Brawl first brought this up in Editor Log: December 2005. Go there for more details in case you don't know what this is about. I've wanted to kind of do this for a while. I must admit originally I was going to be really silly with it (silliness is one of my favorite past times as you might gather if you peruse my stuff) but I actually ultimately decided to be quite serious about it... well, mostly.

Writeups

Yes there are helpful short explanations.

  1. List 3 to 5 writeups (not your own) that epitomize what's special about everything2 for you.
    • How did I get here, Sarah? - One of the best works of fiction on this site, this little story gives you an idea of just how talented some members of the community can be and really gives the newbies something to aspire to. And it definitely shows that this place is more than just an encyclopedia.
    • Riding Esperanza - Same reasons as above.
    • Things nobody tells you about the south pole - This lil' ditty by iceowl is an excellent example of an informative write-up - E2 style. Meaning, it's fascinating to the max, completely factual (if you trust iceowl, which I do), and not dry like all the factual stuff like in Wikipedia. It's jarring, it's well-written, interesting, humorous at times (in a dark way), and quite ominous, a factual that's as about as close to perfection you'll find here.
    • A journey ended begins again - Really the whole series is worth a read, but I choose this one because it is where it starts. This is a fine example of how a profound personal experience can break the GTKY boundaries to find a place where it can be enjoyed and learned from by all. It may be because I, like most homo sapiens, hope that when I die I do not simply cease to exist, but the more TheDeadGuy I read, the more fascinated with him I become.
    • You noders still fucking suck, but your needing my wisdoms bad - Because... well... you noders still do fucking suck and your really are needing Toaster's wisdoms badly.
  2. List 2 or 3 writeups (your own) with which you're most pleased.
    • Death toll likely to rise - My most successful work of fiction (in terms of rep and cools)... and the shortest. And I do love to write fiction, more than factual writeups. I like the whole really short story concept and I hope to think of some more in the future. Not to toot my own horn too much, but it was pretty damned clever.
    • Female infanticide in India - A factual writeup, probably the piece that I did the second-most research for. I was very meticulous and it took me a while to produce it. It was on something I have become very passionate about since becoming a father. I tried to stay as objective and emotionless as possible, though, in this node and let the horrible facts speak for themselves.
    • video game wars - The node I did the most research on. I had a lot of fun writing it and I think it's a good example of how you can put a factual node into a fun, engaging context and I pick this one for many of the same reasons I picked iceowl's above.
    • Sleep Study - This was my very first node. I know it said 2 or 3 but I just have to mention this one. Not only was it not eaten like most first writeups, it was well-written and even helpful. It's amazing to me how many people out there have sleep apnea and refuse to get it treated, give themselves a better life (and their spouse) by getting more and better sleep and because of idiotic pride or fear of doctors they don't get a sleep study. This applies mostly to stubborn men. Not only was it a good factual but I'd hoped it would actually help out any noders out there with the condition and actually be a useful node. Lots of nodes are entertaining and interesting, but I come across few that you can grab onto and actually use to better your life.
  3. List 2 or 3 writeups (anyone's) to which you would point new users as an example of "how to write for e2".

Mentoring/Community

  1. At what time or times are you typically active on e2 and accessible for user questions and help?
    • In the morning, approximately 9:00 AM CST until the afternoon sometime (while I'm at work) and then sometimes in the late CST evening hours, like 10:00PM +. On the weekends it's hard to predict, but most likely late at night.
  2. Are you an active member of the Mentoring team, or if not, would you be willing to join?
    • No, and yes. I've actually been thinking about it for quite some time.
  3. Are you a subject matter expert to whom the admin team can go for content advice? If so, in what area(s)?
    • Certainly. I am an expert in hockey, for one.
      I am pretty good at fiction and know good fiction when I see it.
      As far as smartass humor goes, I'm your man!
      I know more than your average person about the fine arts - history, et al - since that was my degree. I also know cartooning well.
      Web Design and Web Development. Even though I haven't really noded on the subject, I am quite versed on matters of HTML, CSS, Photoshop, graphic design, and a weeee bit of javascript, vb script, and .NET
      Oh and I haven't been doing it all that long yet, but I'm getting pretty good at that parenting thing.
      I'm ashamed to admit it, but 80's and 90's television: sitcoms, cartoons, etc. Don't forget Transformers!
      Being that I'm diabetic, obviously I'm learning quite a bit about that condition
      Same goes for sleep apnea
      I've been meaning to do some sort of node on it, but I was adopted and I guess you can't say I'm an expert on it, but I know what it's like to have that experience which can be weird sometimes.
  4. Are you a leader or an active, contributing member of any e2 usergroups?