Originally, Trouble Every Day is a song about Frank Zappa's reaction on watching the Watts Riots (1965) on TV. The full text version of the song is only included on the Mothers of Invention's debut album Freak Out (1966). It's a great example for Zappa concepts, such as conceptual continuity and transformation of material. I guess an artist whose audience demands the same songs ("classics") over and over again for thirty years, can either go crazy (see the Beach Boys), disappoint the audience or modify the material as he evolves.

Trouble Every Day started out in 1966 as a classic, fast paced, but boring blues song, incl. a blues harp and a monotonous bass line. But once the message was out in the world, the song could transform into something cool. On Roxy and Elsewhere (1974), the song has a new form, it is now a Zappa-style slow blues with a lot more feeling, completely revamped and taxing the skills of all band members - just listen to Chester Thompson (Genesis) on the drums. With more than half of the text gone, there's time for an incredible guitar solo - and from now on, every version has that, with exception of the two minute video version on Does Humor Belong In Music?.

On the Does Humor Belong In Music? (1984) album, a lot of the blues feeling is gone, the structure of the song hasn't changed much since 1974, but it's faster and feels like a rock song, perhaps because of Chad Wackerman's drum work. Did I mention the unbelievable guitar solo? The version on The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (released 1991) is called the Swaggart version, because of the references to Swaggart's encounters with a prostitute, which made the news the night of that concert. Chad Wackerman on the drums, great guitar solo, funny quotes, Ike Willis humor and the samples typical for the 1988 tour. And there's yet another version on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 5.

This is one of my favorite songs (I like the Roxy and Elsewhere version best), it's way up there on my personal all time top twenty of all the music I've ever heard, right alongside other Zappa classics as Muffin Man and Pojama People. Actually, it's one of the very few songs that I like to sing loud - the fact, that Zappa's voice range was limited after being attacked during a concert (I think in London) by a member of the audience and injured by falling from stage into the orchestra pit, helps a lot.