Company Profile

Amy's Kitchen is a privately-held corporation which began operation in 1987, with the purpose of making healthy, organic, and easy-to-prepare frozen food and canned/boxed meals. Owned and run by Andy and Rachel Berliner, Amy's Kitchen took its name from their then-newborn daughter, Amy Berliner. The corporation's farms and processing plants are located in Petaluma, California.

Both proprietors had been long involved in the organic food business; Rachel's family had been growing and selling organic vegetables and fruits since the 1950s, while Andy was formerly the president and majority shareholder of the Magic Mountain Herb Tea company.

Food

While the majority of Amy's food products are aimed at vegetarians and vegans, a small but determined focus is also given to people on kosher diets, as well as those who are unable to tolerate ingredients such as wheat gluten, soy, lactose, and corn derivatives. Additionally, some of Amy's wares aren't frozen (though most are), such as their line of pasta sauces and canned soups. Frozen or not, however, all their products are marketed to people with specialized diets and anyone who considers themselves health-conscious. The organic compound of their product line ranges from 70-95%. None of Amy's products contain actual meat in them (i.e., chicken or beef), though some contain animal-borne elements.

Because most of their products qualify as frozen food, they compete directly with similar companies, such as Stouffer's, Uncle Ben's, and Healthy Choice. Most mainstream supermarkets in the USA sell Amy's products right alongside the others, though some sequester them into "organic food" sections along with the likes of less traditional frozen fare.

Finance

Because Amy's Kitchen is a private entity, reports of its annual earnings are not public knowledge.

Availability

Just about every mainstream supermarket out there carries Amy's Kitchen products, even the vegan ones.

 

Source: http://www.amyskitchen.com/

Note: Portions of this writeup also appear at Wikipedia; the article on this subject I wrote there, in particular. As of this writing there have been no extra-user modifications to it.