Chef is a 2014 film written, produced, directed and starring Jon Favreau. It also stars John Leguizamo, Bobby Cannavale, Emjay Anthony, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, Sofia Vegara, Oliver Platt, Amy Sedaris and Robert Downey Jnr. (Cast details from imdb.com.)

The film tells the story of Carl Casper (Favreau), a high-end chef making staid and predictable meals in Riva (Hoffman)’s restaurant. He is forced out of his job due to a bad review by Ramsey Michel (Platt), his contretemps with Michel going viral on Twitter. He takes up his ex-wife (Vergara)’s offer of her ex-husband (Downey Junior)’s food truck. Together with one of his former chefs (Leguizamo) and his son (Anthony), they bring the truck home, making food for people on the way. The plot is secure, it works, and it offers no real surprises, either. Bizarrely, this is undoubtedly one of the best things about the film, a ‘feel good’ piece, designed to make its audience smile. There are no crushing moments of despair, no point at which an audience member might stand up and berate a character for doing something so obviously stupid, and nothing which forces the story to define itself so clearly into a genre. There’s no car chase, there’s no jeopardy, there’s no double-crossing, there’s no kiss in the rain. By eschewing predictable and well-known narrative structures, the film manages to be uncomplicated rather than naïve, life-affirming rather than glib and impressive rather than merely trying too hard.

Its success, then, is down to the confidence of its writer and lead. Favreau doesn’t try to make the story do something that it clearly shouldn’t do and – at the same time – doesn’t try to make Casper too likeable. He lets the story tell itself and Casper’s absolute love of food, his job and, ultimately, his son draw the character. And it works – he is a joy to watch. Martin, the buddy, is unproblematic and remains believable because of it. Percy is not over directed to steal hearts: he doesn’t do anything particularly cute or falsely endearing. As a result, his performance is convincing and rather fine. In fact, Favreau’s confidence in the story, and the food, is best highlighted by his use of cameos. Hoffman is extremely restrained in his portrayal of the awful restaurant owner who doesn’t understand the talent of his head chef. He isn’t allowed to freewheel or gesticulate. Downey Junior’s weirdness is beautifully understated, painted with such light strokes that the cinema audience I watched the film with laughed out loud (and there were only four of us). Johansson is splendid but not in any way overused. Not even the lead gets to overdo himself: there’s no moment of revenge, for example, on his former boss.

At its heart, this is a redemption story, one man’s journey from unhappiness to happiness, from having nothing to sort of having it all. It could be mawkish and falsely sentimental, but instead it’s big-hearted and celebratory. Two elements of the film, in particular, help make it the latter and not the former. The first is the soundtrack: big, glorious, happy jazz, brass and swing fill the picture throughout, and it’s marvellous. The second is the cinematography which manages to keep the van beautifully in its surroundings, preventing the story from becoming too large and at risk of deflating itself. The locations, the sights, the colours are rich and vibrant throughout.

Food is everywhere, and all of it (with the exception of the boring stuff at the beginning) looks incredible. Even a toasted sandwich is made to look like the finest haute cuisine.  There’s a scene near the beginning when we are led to believe that Casper is going to sleep with Molly – instead he makes her a meal. The camera focuses on his skill and passion and her reactions as he creates the food, as if to say – ‘This food really is better than sex’. And it looks it. It really does.

Obviously, I think you should watch this film. There are some really good reasons to watch this film. It’s a good story. You’ll care about the characters. The food is amazing. The real reason, though, I think is to enjoy something which – arguably – steps away from the mainstream and its prescriptive ideas about what will and won’t be successful. Because the film seems realer, the obvious elation seems realer, too. Without blowing the plot (not that it matters much), the ending could have been mired in sentimentality, overblown acting and narrative tropes. Instead, the film relies entirely on cinematography, food and joy. No words are said. It’s that fine.