Glenfiddich is probably the most well known Single Malt Whisky and is the best selling around the world (with perhaps 20% of the market for Single Malt). The word itself means "Valley of the Deer" in Gaelic. (The reason so many whiskies are "Glen..." is because Whisky production requires water, and rivers are often found in valleys...)

The distillery itself is in the Highland region of Scotland, about half a mile north of Dufftown. The distillery is open to the public, offering two tours - a free, short tour or a more in depth tour for which they charge. It is owned by William Grant & Son, the company founded by the distillery founder. The company also owns a number of other distilleries including The Macallan.

The whisky is most well recognised for its triangular bottles (but don't confuse it with Grant's blended whisky - owned by the same company). The standard whisky is in green glass. However, its basic production (the 12 year old), while drinkable, is nothing special. The main thing that can be said for it is that it's much better than the 8 year old (which isn't produced any more). However, they produce some other whiskies too.

  • Caoran Reserve 12 Year Old - This is in a distinctive black and silver bottle. Caoran - pronounced "ku-ran" - comes from the Gaelic for "peat ember", and the whisky is quite smoky, although not as much as an Islay. This is my favourite in the range (that I have a bottle of - see the Gran Reserva below).
  • Solera Reserve 15 Year Old - Fifteen-year-old Glenfiddich from three types of casks – traditional American bourbon, Spanish sherry and new oak – is married in a large Solera vat, made of Oregon pine. The vat is always kept at least half full, ensuring a consistent quality of whisky is maintained whenever it is topped up. Easy going and very pleasant to drink.
  • Gran Reserva 21 Year Old - This is a whisky matured in Rum casks brought over from Cuba. I've only had it a couple of times at a friend's house - but it's quite spectacular!
  • Ancient Reserve 18 Year Old
  • Glenfiddich 30 Year Old
  • Liqueurs, special bottlings etc.

As I say, keep clear of the normal 12 year old. But the rest are all worth a try.