'Open 'til Midnight'

Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. Director Allan Moyle, (Pump Up The Volume), and writer Carol Heikkinen created a real gem with Empire Records. Due to a distribution blunder, Empire was released straight to video by Warner Bros in 1995. Despite cinema goers missing out on this little gem, it is now available on vhs and dvd, and has a little something for everyone - whether it be the awesome soundtrack, intelligent script, or talented cast.

Introducing

Lucas played by Rory Cochrane
Gina played by Renée Zellweger
A.J played by Johnny Whitworth
Mark played by Ethan Embry
Joe played by Anthony LaPaglia
Corey played by Liv Tyler
Debra played by Robin Tunney
Eddie played by James 'Kimo' Wills
Warren played by Brendan Sexton III
Rex Manning played by Maxwell Caulfield
Jane played by Debi Mazar
and
Berko played by Coyote Shivers

Upon discovering a franchise option agreement for Music Town in a desk drawer, night manager Lucas decides to take things into his own hands. A night trip to Atlantic City, in the hope of 'saving the place he works from being sold, and the jobs of his friends who work there, thus striking a blow at all that is evil and making the world a better place', is unsuccessful. And so the drama begins. What follows is an eventful day in the life of all the 'beautiful little tattooed, gum chewing freaks' that work in a small independent record store in New Jersey.

Lucas used to be normal, but has turned into the Chinese guy from the karate kid overnight. A.J, is an artist and madly in love with Corey. Corey is going to Harvard, is great at acting like she has it all together, and wants to lose her virginity to Rex Manning - a faded teeny-bopper impostor with a bad haircut. Jane works for Rex Manning. Gina is a slut, who has grander illusions. Debra is tired of being invisible, and is looking for a way out. Berko is Debra's boyfriend, and a musician. Mark is more than a little wacky and dreams of starting his own band. Warren is a shoplifting, wannabe employee. Eddie is the token stoner, and free pizza provider. And poor Joe is the manager of Empire Records, and is slowly going mad.

This film has been labelled as just another Kevin Smith wannabe, a remake of clerks, a rip off of John Hughes, or another try-hard flop filled with teenage angst, however that is far from true. Empire Records has its own unique charm, which has supported it into almost cult classic status, which often means it rarely remains on shelf at local video stores. It boasts actors such as Liv Tyler, Renée Zellweger, Ethan Embry, and Australian Anthony LaPaglia, and a soundtrack with songs from acts like The Gin Blossoms, The Cranberries, and Better Than Ezra. A touching, and extremely funny story of a bunch of friends and their search for love, life, reality, sanity, acceptance, and of course MUSIC - all in the space of approximately 87 minutes! Life isn't all sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but they sure can make things interesting.

'Damn The Man. Save The Empire'

*Empire Records is also known under the titles Empire, and Rock & Fun.

details double checked @ imdb.com