For those of you who would like to try to cook this, according to Nins, disgusting dish, here's a recipe.

Ingredients for 4 servings:

Cooking

Heat the oven to 225°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Peel the onion and cut it in thin slices. Peel the potatoes and cut them in thin slices or fine sticks (we're talking really fine here, think almost grated), wash them in cold water and let them drain in a colander or on kitchen towel. You can use a cheese grater on the coarsest selection, but it makes the dish somewhat soggy.

Butter a wide oven-proof dish and put potato, onion and anchovy in layers, and make sure that you top it off with a potato layer. Pour half of the cream over the potatoes, and sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over the top. Put a few knobs of butter or margarine on top.

Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Towards the end of the baking time, pour the rest of the cream together with the oil from the anchovies along the edges of the dish. Make sure that the Janssons Frestelse has a deep golden brown colour before taking it out of the oven.


Serve Janssons Frestelse as it is for meal or as a late night snack. Goes very well with ice cold beer. Yum.