There are currently (2001-2002) a little over 350 students at the college, representing over 81 countries. It was set up in 1962 by Kurt Hahn, originally intended for future world leaders or the children of diplomats, in order to learn to live together in their adolescence, with the hope that this common experience would decrease the chances of another world war. It is the oldest of the 10 United World Colleges, and originally students took their A-levels, though it is now an official IB school. It is truly a mind-blowing experience.

I mean, imagine for a moment, 350 people between the ages of 16 and 19 studying for the international baccalaureate without their parents, or old friends, with a licensed bar to perhaps inspire bolder questions of one's peers...

"So, why exactly are you a Christian anyway?"

"The Americans deserved it (the bombing of the world trade center towers, said in a college meeting a week after 9/11)."

This, indeed, is The stuff dreams are made of. I KID YOU NOT

I have changed so much I am practically unrecognizable to my old friends, which has been fun and a bit lonely when i'm back here in the States. I've learned to question a whole mess of stuff, from the effectiveness of war to my faith to what kind of guy I'm attracted to...

Having friends from all over the place has made things like September 11, 2001 a whole hell of a lot more complicated for me personally, especially coming from my rather narrow-minded background. And I am now trying to maintain my calm in the midst of all of this new-found American Patriotism that is startlingly unfamiliar to me after being across the pond....