"Lateralus" is apparently the title of Tool's next album, to be released May 15, 2001. This was just anounced on the official Tool website (www.toolband.com). Of course, as with all things Tool, a little scepticism is still warranted.

Specifically, the band's site previously stated that the album would be titled "Systema Encéphale" and contain the tracks "Malfeasance", "U.V.R.", "Numbereft", "Encephatalis", "Musick", "Coeliacus", "Pain Canal", "Lactation", "Smyrma", and "Riverchrist". The site then quickly revised the listing, replacing "Musick" with "Mummery". This listing was picked up by several news sites, including ALLSTAR/CDNOW, Rolling Stone, and Kerrang, who ran stories announcing the track list. The site then completely changed the list to "Evasion", with the tracks "Prescipissed", "Bindlecup", "Alcawhorlick", "Alcaharlot", "Bushwhacker", "Munge", "Poopy the Clown", "Gullabored", "Smell Me", and "Buzz's Revenge". Then the band replaced "Poopy the Clown" with "48/14." After these changes, ALLSTAR/CDNOW ran a new story declaring Tool to be likely winners of the Prick Band of the Year Award.

It is generally belived that the band posted fabricated titles to expose the abundance of bogus tracks on Napster. Already, what purports to be Tool's "Riverchrist" from "Systema Encéphale" can be downloaded, though the actual song contained in the file seems to be "Down By The Lazy River" by the "Osmond Brothers". Barring a radical departure from past works, it is unexpected that Tool will be covering the Osmond Brothers in the near future. Another, equally likely explanation is the band's simple desire to piss people off.

On January 28, 2001 the band revised the website again, this time removing any mention of the old track listings and announcing that the new CD will be titled "Lateralus". As previously stated, an amount of sceptisicm is still recomended, however evidence seems to suggest that the new announcement is in fact legitimate. Shortly before the title was announced, the band also declared that the final mixing and mastering of the album was complete, and other details were being worked on - including liner artwork and tour plans. The true track list has now been posted to Tool's website - see Uberfetus's post for the complete list.