Because the Transit of Venus is coming up on June 8, 2004, I thought I'd make a node about pinhole projectors. They are used to view Solar eclipse'. Do not try to look a solar eclipse with your naked eye, you must always be safe when viewing these magnificent works of art. There are many ways to make a pinhole projector, you can even use your hand to make a quick one. I will list how to make 2 of the most common types. One of them being the one Gretchen made in one episodes of Recess that comes on the Disney channel.

The first one is simple and will take no time at all to make.


Here's what you need:

-two pieces of cardboard


Here's what you need to do:

-put a small hole in one of the pieces

-hold this card above the other (the one with hole)

-move the cards in line with the sun and you will see the sun?s image projected on the bottom card.

The second one is not so simple, It's the box style.


Here's what you need:

-cardboard box with white inside

-4 inch square of aluminum foil

-scotch tape

-razor blade


Here's what you need to do:

-cut a one inch hole in the end of your box (the short face side)

-cut a one by four inch rectangle on the long face side that is perpendicular to the short face side (either left or right side)

-take the aluminum foil and poke a very small hole (pinhole) in the middle of it

-tape the foil over the hole at the end of the box (short face side) so the pinhole is in the middle of the opening

Your pinhole projector is now ready to be used. Point the end of the box with the pinhole in it to the eclipse and look in the rectangular end.