Since borgette is in our nation’s capital attending a Young Students Leadership Council with about 250 other kids from around the country, I thought I’d node this for posterity sake. It’s an e-mail from one of the Director’s of the program explaining what they did on their first day there.

It has been a busy day! After breakfast, Anna and the other scholars boarded the bus for a day trip to Philadelphia to study the events, leaders and values that led to the formation of the United States. Dividing her time between a guided walking exploration of the sites of Independence Mall and presentations and exhibits at the National Constitution Center, Anna investigated the critical factors that led to the Declaration of Independence. In exploring this rich historical period, she focused on the ways in which the U.S. Constitution influences life in the United States--and how we, as citizens, influence the Constitution.

Returning to Washington, D.C. in the evening, Anna convened with her LFG to engage in a First Amendment simulation. This fictional scenario asked Anna to weigh the right of students to wear "peace patches" in school to advocate for increased community policing against the distraction that the patches would cause. Employing her communication skills, Anna staked out a position on the issue and debated and negotiated with her fellow scholars.

There was also a slide show that depicted the kids doing what they do best, being kids.

If the fine folks who run the program ever read this, my hat goes off to you. It was a nice touch sending the e-mail and the slide show.

borgo