borgo says "Okay then, here they are." to panamaus and Gorgonzola

Of the 54 movies Alfred Hitchcock directed he made cameo appearances in 37 of them. I know I’ve tried to spot him several times while watching one of his masterpieces but was never successful. Working backwards – here they are.

Family Plot
His infamous silhouette can be spotted through the door of the Registrar of Births and Deaths about 41 minutes or so into the movie.

Frenzy
Sir Alfred can be seen in the middle of a crowd wearing a bowler hat about three minutes into the movie. He’s the only one not applauding the speaker.

Topaz He can be seen being pushed along in a wheelchair the airport about half an hour into the movie. .Inexplicably, he gets up from the chair, shakes hands with some dude and exits stage right.

Torn Curtain Big Al can be seen pretty early on the flick. Watch for him sitting in the lobby of the Hotel d’Angleterre with a blond haired baby.

Marnie
Okay, keep your eyes glued to the left part of the screen about five minutes or so into the movie. See that guy entering from the left of the hotel corridor right after Tippi Hedren goes by. That’s him.

The Birds,
Watch for the part when, paired with Tippi Hedren again, she enters the pet shop.See that guy leaving with the two white terriers. There he goes!

Psycho About four minutes into this classic you’ll see Janet Leigh return to her office. Gottta be quick as you look through the window in her office. There’s Sir Alfred wearing a cowboy hat of all things!

North By Northwest
Don’t blink your eyes during the opening credits ‘cause Alfred can be seen missing a bus.

Vertigo
If you’re watching in color, he’s the guy in a gray suit walking in the street about eleven minutes into the flick. If you’re watching in black and white, he’s the guy in a gray suit walking in the street about eleven minutes into the flick.

The Wrong Man Pretty simple one - he’s providing the narration for the film’s prologue. (Courtesy of Catchpole - He had intended to make a cameo appearance at the Stork Club but decided to cut himself out during editing.)

The Man Who Knew Too Much
Watch for the scene in the Moroccan marketplace, see that guy with his back turned to the camera watching the acrobats just before the murder? Wave hello/goodbye to Alfred!

The Trouble With Harry
It takes about 20 minutes or so for Herr Hitchcock to make his brief appearance. Look for a parked limo and an older gentleman looking at some paintings. That’s not him. The guy that walked past him though, that’s him.

To Catch A Thief
Cary Grant is sitting on a bus about 10 minutes or so into the movie. Sitting to his left is a portly gentleman. Say “hi” Mr. Hitchcock!

Rear Window
Gotta be on your toes to spot him this time!. About ½ hour into the movie there’s a scene that takes place in the songwriter’s apartment. Hey! Who’s that guy winding the clock? Why I’ll be – it Sir Alfred!

Dial M for Murder
Another really hard one! Check your watch. At about 13 minutes into the film you’ll see a class reunion photo. He’s on the left side (sly devil!)

I Confess
Get your popcorn early if you want to see Alfred. Right after the opening credits he can be spotted crossing the top of a staircase.

Strangers on A Train
Early on in the movie you’ll notice a man boarding a train. He’s carrying a double bass fiddle. Wanna make a bet as to who that is? That’s no Stranger on a train as the title implies. That’s good o’ Alfred.

Stage Fright
Look for the scene where Jane Wyman is disguised as Marlene Dietrich's maid. See that guy turning around and giving her the once over. Say hello to Mr. Hitchcock.

Under Capricorn
Nice try Mr. Hitchcock. Did you really think we could be fooled? You appear a couple of times in this one. Within the first five minutes your spotted in the town square during a parade. “Bout 10 minutes later your one of the three guys on the steps of the Government House.

Rope
Ya gotta wait about 55 minutes or so and once again ya gotta be quick. Look for a neon sign in a view from the apartment window. There’s his trademark!

The Paradine Case
Once again carrying a musical instrument, this time a cello as he leaves the train and Cumberland Station.

Notorious
Where’s the best place to get lost sometimes? Why, at a party of course! About an hour or so into the film there’s a party being held at Claude Rains mansion. Sir Alfred wolfs down some champagne and makes a hasty exit.

Spellbound
Keep your eyes peeled for a guy coming out of an elevator at the Empire Hotel about 40 minutes into the movie. Once again he’s carrying a musical instrument. This time it’s a violin case and he’s smoking a cigarette.

Lifeboat
Hitchcock, you diabolical bastard you! Your image appears in the "before" and "after" pictures in the newspaper ad for something called the “Reduco Obesity Slayer”.

Shadow of A Doubt
There’s a part in the movie where there’s a train on the way to Santa Rosa. Who do you think that is playing cards.

Saboteur
About an hour into to the movie the saboteur’s car stops in front of front of Cut Rate Drugs. The dude standing in front of the store is Sir Alfred.

Suspicion
¾’s of an hour into the film a gentleman is dropping a letter into the village postbox. We all know who that is.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith
About half way through the movie a guy passes by Robert Montgomery in front of his building. Hi Al!Midway through, passing Robert Montgomery in front of his building.

Foreign Correspondent
Pretty early on the flick, the foreign correspondent in the form of Joel McCrea leaves his hotel. Sitting in the lobby, wearing a coat and a hat and reading a newspaper, there’s Alfred Hitchcock.

Rebecca
In the last part of the movie a man emerges from a telephone booth. That’s not him, that’s George Sanders. The guy walking near the phone booth, that’s Alfred Hitchcock.

The Lady Vanishes
But Mr. Hitchcock doesn’t. Near the end of the movie there’s a shot in Victoria Station. Within that shot Mr. Hitchcock can be seen wearing a black coat and smoking himself a cigarette.

Young and Innocent
Sir Alfred gets behind the camera in this one, literally. There’s a scene outside the courthouse where a guy holds a camera. Good ol’ Al.

The 39 Steps
Less than 10 minutes into the movie a couple bolts from the movie theater. Watch out for the litterbug. That’s Mr. Hitchcock tossing away some of his trash.

Murder
About an hour or so into the film there’s gonna be a scene at the house where the murder was committed. Al is the guy strolling by without a care in the world.

Blackmail
Some little kid is breaking his chops as he tries to read a book in the subway.

Easy Virtue
Look for a scene with a tennis court. See that guy walking past carrying a walking stick? That’s him.

The Lodger
In what was to become an on going practice, Alfred Hitchcock makes his first film appearance appearing at a desk in a newsroom. He later shows up in a crowd watching an arrest.

Thanks to our friends at www.entertainmentnutz.com/movies/hitchcocks_cameos for the info.