It’s been quite awhile since I’ve contributed a daylog to the gel but since I got some good news I feel a bit obliged to share it with some folks.

I got a surprise visit from Anna the other day. Due to a combination of many things such as conflicting schedules, a bit of stubbornness on both our parts (a borgo family trait) and the hectic life of a seventeen year old we haven’t seen each all that much. That little visit brightened my day and made my week.

Anyway, we were just catching up on things like school, politics, social matters and summer plans. (She plans on volunteering at a local hospital). I knew she recently took the ACT tests and wanted to know how she fared. With college only a year or so away I thought it would be good to know where she stands among her peers when it comes to the selection and acceptance process.She got a composite score of 28 out of a possible 36.

The national average for 2010 was 21.

That puts her in the 90th percentile of all the kids who took the test.

I’m thinking she can just about have her pick of the litter when it comes to choosing a school.

During the seventeen years I’ve been a single parent I’ve made my fair share of mistakes along the way. Maybe it’s because I have a fragile ego or some deep rooted inferiority complex that caused me to lash out when things didn’t go the way I expected them to. Do I have some regrets of the way?

Absolutely.

But then I got to thinking about dwelling on the past and how that’s just not good for you. It was something that my own father did constantly during his life. Even when his children were grown and had fled the nest he never failed to remind them of their so-called shortcomings during family get togethers. It got so bad towards the end that most of my relatives just stopped bothering to attend. Who needs to be reminded of shit that went down five, ten or twenty years ago?

So now I look to the future and the future looks pretty damn bright.

So honey, if you read this, and I know you will, let me take this opportunity to shout it out from the rafters that I’m so proud of you and what you’ve been able to accomplish under what was at times some difficult circumstances.

What I said when you left grade school for high school never rings any truer or is more heartfelt today than when I wrote it a couple of years back.

Oh yeah, she wants to retake the test in June to see if she can improve her score.

You go girl!