You'll see these posted in most (if not all) hospitals in the United States.

"As a patient, you have certain rights, and understanding your rights will help you get the best possible care. We will make every effort:

1) To treat you with consideration and respect in a safe setting free from all forms of harrassment. Your privacy will be protected.
2) To keep all communications and records about your care confidential. In general, you have the right to see all information in your helath records.
3) To clearly explain all hospital rules and regulations.
4) To provide clearly written and spoken information in words you can understand.
5) To provide all the information you need to make an informed decision about your care, including information about your options, risks, and benefits, possible outcomes, possible side effects, who is providing your care and costs.
6) To respect your advance directives (living will or durable power of attorney for health care), which express your wishes about resuscitation and other end-of-life- decisions.
7) To respect your decision to refuse care. To allow you to leave the hospital even if your physician advises against it.
8) To provide effective relief from pain and respect your right to refuse pain control.
9) To provide you with freedom from restraints and seclusion of any form that is not medically necessary.
10) To inform you that we are a teaching hospital and that you have the right to refuse treatment from a health-care student, intern, or resident. You can request a consultation with another proveder at any time.
11) To provide you with all available information about possible research participation and obtain your informed consent.
12) To involve you in discharge planning and inform your physician of any health care requirements when you return home.
13) To give you the opportunity to examine and receive an explanation of your bill regardless of source of payment.
14) To allow you to express a concern or complaint and receive a prompt response. You also have the right to file a formal grievance if you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint.