The intent of this write up is not to argue about whether the use of medical marijuana is ethical or not. I’ll leave that to the doctors and politicians to debate and decide.

In general in order to qualify for its use the patient must be suffering from cachexia, cancer, chronic pain, epilepsy or other illnesses that cause seizures, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, and multiple sclerosis. Some states also allow treatments such chemotherapy and radiotherapy

If you live here in the States the following is a list of fifteen of them that currently have legalized the use of medical marijuana in some form or another as well as some other relevant information pertaining to its use.

Note: The details in this write up are subject to change based upon which way the current politcal wind is blowing and who is in power.

Alaska

The use of medical marijuana was placed before the voters in Alaska in 1998. It was subsequently approved by 58% of the people who cast their ballots.

Alaska allows you to possess no more than one ounce of usable marijuana at a time. For those of you who like to grow your own you may not have more than six plants at once and of those six only three can be considered “mature”.

Arizona

The use of medical marijuana was placed before the voters in Arizona in 2010. It was subsequently approved by 50.13% of the people who cast their ballots.

In order to qualify for use of medical marijuana a patient must have a note from their physician stating they are suffering from a debilitating disease. They must procure the marijuana from a state licensed registered dispensary.

The law also requires the patient to register with the state and when a patient makes their purchase their registration is confirmed via a web based site. It also specifies that employers may not discriminate against registered patients unless they would lose money or some type of licensing under current federal law.

In Arizona you may purchase up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana in a two week period. Since Arizona distributes the marijuana through state run agencies, if you live more than twenty five miles from one, you may grow up to twelve plants of your own provided they are kept under lock and key.

California

The use of medical marijuana was placed before the voters in California in 1996. It was subsequently approved by 56% of the people who cast their ballots.

In order to qualify for the use of medical marijuana in California the patient must have written or oral recommendation from their doctor that they would benefit from its use. You then must register with the state and procure the marijuana from state run dispensaries.

If you or your primary caregiver qualify for its use you can’t possess any more than eight ounces and/or six mature plants.

Colorado

The use of medical marijuana was placed before the voters in Colorado in 2000. It was subsequently approved by 54% of the people who cast their ballots.

In order to qualify for the use of medical marijuana in Colorado you must have written documentation from your physician stating that you “might benefit” from its medical use.

Once you get issued your Medical Marijuana Registry identification card you may possess no more than two ounces of a usable form of marijuana and not more than six marijuana plants,

District of Columbia (DC)

Approved 13-0 by the Council of the District of Columbia on May 4, 2010; signed by the Mayor on May 21, 2010

The maximum amount of medical marijuana that any qualifying patient or caregiver may possess at any moment is two ounces of medical marijuana.

Hawaii

The use of medical marijuana was signed into law by Gov. Ben Cayetano on June 14, 2000. It was approved in the House by a vote of 38-18 and the Senate by a vote of 13-12.

In order to qualify for the use of medical marijuana you must have a signed statement from your physician affirming that you suffer from a debilitating condition and that the "potential benefits of medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks."

In Hawaii you cannot possess more than an “adequate supply” of medical marijuana. This means you cannot have more than three mature plants, four immature plants and one ounce at any given time.

Maine

The use of medical marijuana in Maine was placed before the voters 1999 and approved by a whopping 61 %.

In order to qualify for the use of medical marijuana you must have an oral or written "professional opinion" from your physician that you "might benefit from the medical use of marijuana." Unlike most other states, the law does not establish a state-run patient registry.

In Maine you may legally possess no more than one 1 ¼ ounces of usable marijuana, and may cultivate no more than six marijuana plants, of which no more than three may be mature.

Michigan

The use of medical marijuana in Michigan was placed before the voters 2008 and approved by an eye popping 63 %.

The site I referenced for this article did not include any information about how one qualifies for the use of medical marijuana in Michigan. I suppose everybody then qualifies by default.

In Michigan you may possess up to 2 ½ ounces of marijuana and twelve plants as long as the plants are under lock and key.

Montana

The use of medical marijuana in Montana was placed before the voters 2004 and approved by an impressive 62 %.

Once again, the site I referenced failed to mention what the patient qualifications are for the use of medical marijuana.

A qualifying patient and a qualifying patient's caregiver may each possess six marijuana plants and one ounce of usable marijuana.

Nevada

The use of medical marijuana in Nevada was placed before the voters 2001 and approved by an even more impressive 65 %.

In order to qualify patients must have "written documentation" from their physician that marijuana may alleviate his or her condition.

Patients or their primary caregivers may legally possess no more than one ounce of usable marijuana, three mature plants, and four immature plants.

New Jersey

Signed into law by Gov. Jon Corzine on Jan. 18, 2010. Approved by the House by a vote of 48-14 and the Senate by a vote of 25-13

Protects patients who use marijuana to alleviate suffering from debilitating medical conditions, as well as their physicians, primary caregivers, and those who are authorized to produce marijuana for medical purposes" from "arrest, prosecution, property forfeiture, and criminal and other penalties."

Basically it’s left up to your doctor to determine how much you’ll need but they can’t prescribe more than two ounces over a thirty day period.

New Mexico

Approved by the House by a vote of 36-31 and the Senate by a vote of 32-3. Went into effective in July of 2007

In order to qualify you have to have a signed recommendation from your physician stating that marijuana "may mitigate" any debilitating symptoms.

Patients have the right to possess up to six ounces of usable cannabis, four mature plants and 12 seedlings.

Oregon

The use of medical marijuana in Oregon was placed before the voters 1998 and approved by 55%.

Patients qualify as long as they’re "in a regulated system for alleviating symptoms caused by debilitating medical conditions and their medical treatments."

If you qualify you or your designated primary caregiver may possess up to six mature marijuana plants and 24 ounces of usable marijuana.

Rhode Island

Originally approved by state House and Senate but later vetoed by the Governor. The veto was over-ridden by House and Senate and it went into effect in January of 2006.

The site I referenced for this article did not include any information about how one qualifies for the use of medical marijuana in Rhode Island. Rhode Island however is the only state that currently recognizes patients from other states and will dispense marijuana for medicinal purposes as long as they have the proper documentation from their accompanying state.

If you’re a patient the amount of marijuana that can be possessed and grown is 12 marijuana plants or 2 1/2 ounces of cultivated marijuana. If you’re a primary caregiver you may not possess an amount of marijuana in excess of 24 marijuana plants and five ounces of usable marijuana for patients under your care.

Vermont

Passed by the General Assembly by a vote of 82-59 and when into law unsigned in May of 2004.

The site I referenced for this article did not include any information about how one qualifies for the use of medical marijuana in Vermont.

No more than two mature marijuana plants, seven immature plants, and two ounces of usable marijuana may be collectively possessed between the registered patient and the patient’s registered caregiver.

Washington

The use of medical marijuana in Washington was placed before the voters 1998 and approved by 59%.

In order to qualify you must possess “valid documentation" from your physician affirming that you suffer from a debilitating condition and that the "potential benefits of the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks."

A qualifying patient and designated provider may possess a total of no more than twenty-four ounces of usable marijuana, and no more than fifteen plants. This quantity became the state's official "60-day supply" on Nov. 2, 2008.

Source(s)

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881