It’s often been said that “variety is the spice of life” and I think that’s a pretty fair statement. Allergies or certain dietary restrictions aside, this is especially true when it comes to food.

What follows is a pretty simple recipe that should come in handy if you want to expand your horizons a bit and are tired of eating the same old boring french fries with your meal of choice. I’ve made a version or two of these over the years just to break the monotony of sitting down to the same thing time after time, year after year.

Here’s what you need:

  • About one pound of sweet potatoes
  • About a half a teaspoon of paprika
  • Half a teaspoon of salt (optional but highly recommended)
  • One tablespoon of olive oil (doesn’t need to be the fancy kind)
  • Here’s what you do:

  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C)
  • Peel and rinse the sweet potatoes and cut them into circles or horizontally
  • Drizzle them with the olive oil and place them on a baking sheet
  • Sprinkle them evenly with the salt and paprika
  • Bake them for about 15 minutes or so and then flip them over and bake them for another 5 to 10 minutes
  • Remove them from the oven and dig in
  • If you’re feeling especially adventurous, while the sweet potatoes are baking in the oven you might want to try and make some dipping sauce in place of ketchup. Since I’m a pretty simple person, here’s one I’ve used in the past to enhance the flavor of my sweet potato fries.

  • Plain Greek yogurt and sour cream in equal proportions
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • See, how hard was that?

    In addition to offering up a nice change of pace, fresh sweet potato fries make a healthy alternative to those boxes of frozen processed French fried potatoes most of us have lurking in the deep dark recesses of our freezer.