Patterns sometimes seen by migraine sufferers, often very similar to those seen by individuals using hallucinogens. Some get the effect without the pain of the migraine. Visual symptoms are the most frequent (99%), followed by sensory (31%), aphasic (18%), and motor (6%) symptoms (according to a study done at the University of Copenhagen). The typical visual aura starts as a flickering, uncoloured, zig-zag line in the centre of the visual field and affect the central vision. It gradually progresses towards the periphery of one hemifield and often leaves a scotoma. The typical sensory aura is unilateral, starts in the hand, progresses towards the arm and then affects the face and tongue. The typical motor aura is half-sided and affects the hand and arm.

Some would suggest that the migraine aura is actually the brain apprehending its own subroutines in consciousness. The fact that there are natural equivalents to drug-induced experiences suggests the possibility that in some sense, a sufferer is observing what's going on in the brain. The drugged or migrained brain is a cranked-up biochemical computer capable of picturing the self-organizing behavior and nonlinear dynamism at play within normally staid reality.