The fourth installment in The Secret of Monkey Island series from LucasArts, scheduled for a fall 2000 release.

Since some dumbass decided some years ago that everything from word processors to adventure games has to be in 3D, this one will be too. With that patented slow and frustrating control system made popular by Alone in the Dark.

Not many details on the story are available as of now, but I'm guessing it will be similar to The Curse of Monkey Island: Short and inconsistent with the first two episodes. (which happen to the best games of this genre ever)

There are some screenshots available at http://www.lucasarts.com/, and I must admit they look OK. But the hand-drawn characters in the 3rd part looked so much better than the low-polygon models you see here.

Anyway, don't get your hopes too far up.
But remember that with really low expectations, you can only be pleasantly surprised.



Update (November 10, 2000)

Ok, now I've gotten my hands on the game. Here are some first impressions:

  • The user interface is downright terrible. No two ways about it, the controls simply suck ass. It's quite sad that the playability on the first episode made a decade ago is years ahead of the 3D crap presented here.
  • While the backgrounds are quite beautiful, the characters look like they belong in the year 1996. The 6-polygons-per-model style may have worked in Grim Fandango, but not in here.
  • Much of the music seems to be recycled straight out of MI3. Did they run out of money or time?
  • Although it may be too early to voice an opinion about it, the plot seems as interesting as reading through a phone book.
Of course, I will stay from giving any final judgement until completing the game. After all, part #3 seemed awful in the beginning but turned out to be a fairly decent adventure.
And don't get me wrong, I don't think everything about Escape is negative. I especially like the way they have brought in old characters and jokes to warm the fans' hearts. But the problems are what first got my attention.

This all is of course extremely subjective. Apologies for that, but as a huge Monkey Island fan I find it hard to not be a little passionate about the subject.