,dP9CGG88@b,
  ,IP""YICCG888@@b,
 dIi   ,IICGG8888@b
dCIIiciIICCGG8888@@b
GCCIIIICCCGGG8888@@@
GGCCCCCCCGGG88888@@@     <---- A Perfect Sphere? No way!
GGGGCCCGGGG88888@@@@
Y8GGGGGG8888888@@@@P
 Y88888888888@@@@@P
 `Y8888888@@@@@@@P'
    `@@@@@@@@@P'
    

I do not claim to be a particle physicist, nor do I claim to be a wacky futurist, ok maybe a little. I am simply a concerned citizen of the universe, wary of faults made by our historical cosmologists.

The first red flag that pops up in my mind while reading pla's assertment of the "causal radius" scenario is the phrase "perfect sphere." Remember how Galileo's peers believed the their universe to be a perfect sphere? Well, Galileo then proved, although in quite a posthumous manner, that the planets do not move around the earth in perfect circles. Instead, the path of the planets are irregular.

Taking only that historical experience into account, why should I believe that the universe, a system of great girth and complexity, would ever expand in a uniform shape... a sphere, nonetheless. What about the fact that light is subject to gravity? The light which is supposedly carving out our perfect spherical universe at the speed of itself is also bending around all over the place. As long as a single photon strays from it's original course as a ray from the point of the big bang, the universe is no longer a perfect sphere.

In fact, as Einstein predicted early in the 20th century, scientists have verified that light in fact bends great distances when subject to enough gravitational influence. In 1979, British Astronomers verified theories about the relationship between light and gravity Einstein had put forth in his 1936 essay "Lens-like Action of a Star by the Deviation of Light in the Gravitational Field." Although photons do not have mass, scientists noticed that a large cluster of galaxies between us and a far away quasar was successfully bending the light coming from the quasar. The apparent "binary quasar" was just an optical illusion. Think of all the other large clumps of matter in the universe, and all the light that it is bending.

I'm sure some plastic mind out there is thinking that perhaps the light which is racing at the edge of the universe is out of matter's gravitational reach. But this light came from the same spot as a universal amount of matter. Surely a major amount of this gravitationally induced light-warping came nearer to the birth of the universe than farther.


http://www.scibridge.sdsu.edu/coursemats/introsci/sysinteractions/grav_lenses/


Update:I must say that I meant to argue against the fact that the shape of the matter and light in the universe itself is spherical. What pla refers to in the writeup above is the PROBABLE extremities of the universe, given the maximum distance light could have travelled in all directions since the big bang.

Thanks to Olathe for helping me work through the matter.