Paranoia is a human trait that destroys the lives of many, cripples the lives of more, and is misunderstood by everyone else. It is not what you feel when you get stoned. It is not what you feel when you are caught in a lie; these go away. If you are paranoid in the truer sense then this block of text and all other blocks of text are about you. Boy, that commercial for tooth whitening paste really has you pegged. Never mind Copernicus’ balderdash about you around the sun; everything revolves around you. You’re falling into their trap. Paranoia is the inability to define a thing; it is the ultimate in relativism. It’s enough to make laughter sound like gritty, grinding hate; they are laughing at you, can’t you see?

When you pulled into that parking spot awkwardly the man in the building across the street threw his hands in the air while facing away from you the entire time because he couldn’t believe that you would do such a thing. When the teacher told you that your paper was nice she lied so that you would give her a high rating. When your mom said that your hair looked nice she lied so that you would be kindly towards her and not abandon her when your father died, and you could bring her food so she could live. Living, to the paranoid, becomes a selfish and viral activity. The term “paranoia” was made by the government. Do not sign your name anywhere. Anything you say can and will be used against you by your close circle of friends. Paranoia is the obsession with latent motives. It is the denial of sincerity and the soul of the last three centuries of reason. Paranoia is a fifth grader checking his shirt every day while walking to school to make sure his mom didn’t wiretap his shirt.