I think this falls under Node What You Don't Know but I am determined to not let this evolve into a silly rant asking lame questions. This is a serious topic, and not one that Cosmo or the Psychic Hotline or the Playboy Advisor can answer. So, I found this article on the net, “Is the long-term relationship over?” But the subtitle is the kicker, “Can industrial distributors still have long-term relationships with their manufacturers?” Well then, let’s analyze relationships in terms business. Check out the article if it is still there when you get to reading this node, http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/id/archives/2000/ind0101.00/0101newfinal.htm.

When the market changes... Probably the beginning of the end is when you realize you and your partner have changed. When you grow in separate directions rather than one continuous one together.

...manufacturers are evaluating direct sales for future consideration. The next sign, are either you or your partner evaluating each other on a basis that involves a future together. Are you planning on spending the rest of your life with this person, if not, why are you in a long term relationship. What are you getting out of your partner...

The advent of the Internet does not have to mean the demise of the manufacturer-distributor relationship. Changes in your relationship doesn’t necessarily mean that everything is over. The question is rather can you work through the changes or not. Are they too big to deal with, or too stupid to get in the way.

Additionally, we learn about new acquisitions and mergers with each industry publication we read. Don’t forget. There are other people out there. People make it happen everyday. So no matter how bad you feel, there is a person who is right for you.

Rather than taking a firm stand, manufacturers typically let the new distributor keep the line because they fear limiting future distribution options. Are you settling in your relationship, or are you actively pursing what is best for you. Are you letting your partner get away with things that bother you because you fear a breakup...

Most recently, emerging multi-manufacturer efforts to sell products... Maybe a polyamourous relationship is better for you...

Those close relationships with small end users have been a large source of income and profit for small distributors. A close relationship with a partner you truly love can be rewarding on so many levels. And then tend to last when done right.

As a result of these conflicting perceptions of the market, we're seeing cooperative efforts between manufacturers and distributors diminish. After fighting so often, and coming to conflicts over so many issues, do you tend to just give up, become tired of dealing with it all.

As the face of industry changes, it seems that those companies who try to tackle the problems and challenges together, will have greater success than those who go it alone will. When you deal with problems together rather than separately, the results will be better for both of you.

Manufacturers will do well to remember that their distributors provide the best, most direct source for information about the end user. Talk to your partner, don’t just be concerned with yourself. Listen and be attentive to what the other person needs and wants. It’s not all just about you.



And probably the best advice in the article, and it needs no interpretation...
• Don't go it alone. You have many willing partners waiting to take on new challenges and new markets.