The key to this question is almost entirely in the interpretation of the question: what does advanced mean? What does 'advanced species' mean?

If we decide that to us, 'advanced' is defined in terms of intelligence or self-awareness, we're in a 3-way tie with the dolphins and chimps.

My interpretation of 'advanced species' is the probably the evolutionary one; the species fittest to survive. Which humans do very well, and often by killing off our closest competition.

By this definition, humans are the most "advanced species", but it's nothing to be proud of.

"Advanced species" could also be interpreted as "closest (proportionally) to the end of their existence as a species". In which case it's unlikely to be us to take that honour. Unfortunately.

Additionally, the pedantic answer to the question, is "No, since Homo Sapiens is not a species at all, but a subspecies." which is a useful diversionary tactic when you get bored listening to unfounded religious reasoning when debating the point with someone else.


Note, 2001 06 06
The purpose of this writeup was to point out the subtleties in interpretation of the original question, and present my (2¢ each) shots at potential answers to specific interpretations.

Perhaps the fact that there's been so much to-and-froing in this node may be a reflection of this subtlety: half a dozen noders and as many different shades of interpretation?

I do not disagree with Footprints' original point (that most of the arguments put forward on the topic are at best subjective and more often than not in support of some personal agenda or prejudice). Posting a neutral writeup in repsonse to someone else's could easily be misinterpreted as implicitly taking a contrary stance.

That said, Footprints' subsequent comments seem touchy and reactionary, and ill thought-out. 'we evolve exponentially slower than bacteria' is one fine example that should probably be sumbitted for the Everything Quote Server ;-)

Now, feel free to downvote this for undue pomposity, but for Pete's sake someone vote Templeton's insightful and tactful wu back up again.