A mapped and marked trail, with the northern end being somewhere near the Dan river, in the whereabouts of Kiryat Shmona and the southern one being in the Taba border crossing with Egypt.

The marking of the trail is made of three colored strips: blue , white and orange, with orange symboling the southern end and the blue the northern one. Each marking has either the orange or blue stripes sticking out depending on the direction your'e facing, so that you would know which way to go.

Total length of the track is 850 kilometers and it takes about 45 days to complete, depending on the weather.

Being maintained by the The Nature Preservation Company the idea for such a long trail in such a small country came up about fifteen years ago and it was accomplished by putting together a great amount of smaller trails that go through nature reserves and other places worth to take a look at.

The best time to take your two month break and do it would be somewhere at summer's start, ideally with no more rain in the Galilee (north), and when it's still not to hot, and when the Negev desert in the south is already somewhat tolerable at nights.

Probably the most annoying two things (besides the natural hazards) are the lack of flowing water in the reserves and the arabs you tend to meet almost everywhere. Hearing gunfire at night isn't uncommon, too. Thus, the experience can be spoiled somewhat by the need to carry a cellphone to feel secure (if you don't have a gun license, that is) and to go to a town every couple of days when you run out of water and you wanna buy some Noblesse.

Most Israeli youths tend to take a long trip to India and the Far East or South America after the army, but oddly enough only few know of the trail's existance and actually walk it.

Amongst the prettiest spots on the trail are the Amud river, the Dishon river and the way to Jerusalem. I'm not much of a desert fan. A good way to ensure your full satisfaction from the trip is to forget the map at home, or take a 1:250,000 roadmap that would reveal no details. I had to, since I went to the trip with minimal amount of currency and had no money for fancy 1:25,000 maps. This made me an excellent navigator in a short time, and it would make you too, when you discover that your daily meals and water depend on it.