So I was thinking, blue cheese is good. Potato Salad is good. So why not combine the two? Hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Ok, you can leave the blue cheese out, but come on, live a little! Also keep in mind that you can use store bought mayonnaise, but it's much better if you make your own... And of course, there are a lot of different varieties of blue cheese out there. I think this works well with a salty variety such as a good Wisconsin or Maytag Blue, but whatever you like will work fine.

Mayonnaise

  • 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg subtitute (if you are worried about consuming raw eggs, egg substitutes are pasteurized so they may safely be consumed uncooked, however the mayonnaise might not quite be the same)
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 Cup Oil

This is a very basic mayonnaise, but it is mainly a binder so that's all we need. To make, add egg, salt, mustard, and lemon juice to a blender or food processor and blend until combined. Pick a good oil, whatever floats your boat. I use grapeseed oil because it has the least amount of saturated fat of any oil you can buy. Olive oil would work as well, plain old vegetable oil will do in a pinch. Drizzle oil slowly in while mixing. After adding all the oil, check the consistency and add more if needed (it should be thick and smooth).

Potato Salad

Clean potatoes well and place in large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and add some salt, boil until potatoes are fork tender, but slightly more firm than you would want for mashing. Cut into bite size pieces, remove skin if desired, I prefer to leave it on. Add potatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cool completely.

Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard in a bowl. Add to potatoes and gently fold in. Add blue cheese, celery, dill and parsley and fold until well mixed. It is best if you make this a day ahead of time and refrigerate so that all the flavors have a chance to mix.

A side note, it is easier to cut the potatoes before boiling them, and they will cook faster this way too, but I don't do it. When you cut them up after cooking while they are still warm, they tend to fall apart a bit. I like to have the mushy bits of crumbled potatoes in the potato salad, but it won't be the end of the world if you cut them before cooking...

And another note, this will be mostly unlike the potato salads you are familiar with. It does not have an overpowering mayo taste and is a little tangy. It's a good different!