Irish Coffee Cake

This Irish Coffee Cake recipe is probably the best cake I have ever eaten. Seriously. It turns out so moist, and not too sweet... just perfect. Think of a medium-heavy cake, with the taste of coffee and just barely a bite of alcohol. That is this cake.

The Irish Coffee Cake is a recipe inspired by Irish coffee: strong coffee and good Irish whiskey. It is the perfect cake to go with an evening coffee get-together.

What you will need:

Cake

Syrup

  • 2/3 c. strong brewed coffee
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 tbsp. Irish whiskey

Topping

To start, butter an 8 inch ring pan and coat it well with flour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Next, cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl; then, add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each one.

Now sift the flour and baking powder together; add approximately 2/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture along with the 2 tbsp. of coffee, mix, and add in the rest of the flour mixture.

Put your cake dough into the pan, and place into the oven for 35-40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When the cake is done, turn it onto a wire rack to cool.

To make the syrup, heat the sugar and the coffee together until the sugar has all dissolved, then boil rapidly for one minute. Remove the coffee mixture from the heat and stir in the Irish whiskey.

Wash the cake pan out thoroughly, and when the cake is completely cooled, return it to the pan.

Pour the syrup over the cake, and leave it to soak for 2-3 hours.

To make the topping, beat the whipped cream with the confectioners sugar and whiskey.

Turn the cake onto a serving dish and decorate with the topping. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the top.