"Summer Romance" is the 9th track on Incubus's first full-length CD release, S.C.I.E.N.C.E., which hit the world in 1997. It is in the key of B minor (though, like "Deep Inside", the 11th track, utilizes modes). Its funk/jazz-laden groove with the occasional rock/metal fill could be considered trippy by some, beautiful by others, but definitely genre-busting and out-of-the-ordinary (at least for a mainstream LP release).

The song features three key strong points that propel it to the beauty that was Incubus's masterpeice:


1) Brandon Boyd's voice, which in most of the album chops out quick, slurred lyrics that are half-rapped, half-mumbled but always in the right place at the right time. In this song, he let loose and truly showcases his talent as a vocalist rather than a poignant lyricist (later songs such as "Drive" on the "Make Yourself" CD or nearly any track from "Morning View" are clearly influenced by such a musical choice).
2) Mike Enzinger's modest, but excellent skill as a jazz guitarist. Picked up from early influences like Primus and Steve Vai(among many others), Enzinger proves with the funk/jazz hook in the song that he can play his ass off (check out the AT&T Acoustic Series version of the song for a respectable solo). The progression has its minor 7th chords strewn about as well as the Bridge ("When we get there...") riff, one of Enzinger's more notable progressions of any song Inbubus has written.
3) Jeremy Wasser's saxophone solo. Just listen to it; it's almost porn-like in its detached passion, and flows nicely. Oh, so nicely...

The lyrics portray pretty much what the song title says, a summer romance, making one feel lighter-than-air, thus the anti-gravitational effect, which fits with what seems to be the concept of the album (more scientific things appear in "New Skin", though.)

For your listening pleasure and your money's worth, Summer Romance is one of the best songs on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. All of the songs, though, are pretty damn good.