Having spent much of my early teenage working time employed as a dish washer in various kitchens, I feel a need to do something with the few useless bits of knowledge I accumulated. And so I node.

The important thing to remember if you're washing dishes in a big kitchen is speed. You need to turn those puppies over quickly, someone's going to need them, and soon. It's a fundamental law of kitchens, no matter how many pans the chef has, he never has enough, and will always be waiting on someone to wash one up.

With this in mind the best advice I can give is to fill the biggest sink with hot water, really hot water. Turn the hot tap on and leave it to fill the sink. No cold water.

This will hurt like a bitch at first, but your hands and arms will soon become accustomed to it. This affords you great washing up speed. Water that hot will shift anything quickly, and the water will almost entirely evaporate on it's own.

If you have one of those 'big box' automatic dish washers to help you, they serve a double purpose. The top box thingy (the 'lid' you lower to close the machine) heats up nicely when it gets going, so use it to dry your soggy dish cloths out quicker.

Other than that, follow the washing advice offered by davidgentle above, and you're on your way to becoming a true dish washing pro! Hell, it ain't rocket science, they gave me the job for fucks sake.