WARNING: MILD SPOILERS




In Ender's Game, Bean was depicted as more or less Ender's sidekick. However, after reading Ender's Shadow, it is apparent that Bean's potential surpasses even Ender. His drawback is that he is incredibly cold and calculating. This, as well as his age and size, is why Ender's Jeesh mostly held him in contempt. Petra especially despised him because she suspected that after her failure in battle, Ender had assigned Bean to watch her, and take control of her ships if she failed again.

Ender's Shadow:
Growing up as one of the smallest children on the streets of Rotterdam, he is forced to learn to survive not my brute force, but by cunning intellect. This is how he eventually meets Poke. Poke is the leader of the street gang that takes him in. Later we are introduce to Achilles, who ends up being Bean's arch-enemy more or less.

Shadow of the Hegemon:
This book takes place after Ender's Shadow, and is about the destabilisation of earth after ender leaves, and the IF declares non interference with the politics of earth. Most of the story is about various nations trying to employ one or more of the kids from Ender's Jeesh so that they might have a chance in the impending world war.

During the course of this story we find our exactly why it is that Bean is so intelligent, and why his physical proportions are a bit skewed.

Opinions:

I am a big fan of Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon. I tried to read the other branch of the series, but it just didn't hold my attention at the time.

Suggested reading:

If you liked Bean's half of the series, then you might like to know that Orson Scott Card intends to write another two books that will take place after SotH.
I would also suggest Treasure Box, and Lost Boys, also by OSC.