This was the message of a booklet passed around Utah (from a British paper):

Do the teenagers you know talk excitedly about inequality, racial discrimination or pollution? If so, according to a pamphlet doing the rounds in the United States, they may be exhibiting the first symptoms of drug addiction.

The pamphlet by Gerald Smith, a criminology professor in Utah, vividly describes these warning signs for the benefit of parents worried that their children may be regular users of marijuana and other drugs.

The affected youth may "avoid the family while at home", the 66-page booklet says, and show "excessive preoccupation with social causes, race relations, environmental issues, etc".

In the introduction, Republican Senator Orrin Hatch, a Mormon minister from Salt Lake City, thunders "a morally depraved society... has chosen to embrace, rather than attack, this plague" of marijuana use.

But the senator believes that with the help of God and Mr Smith's little book, young Americans can be led along the path to a "marijuana-free life".

So he tells parents: "Study this book... and look for the many warning signs of any children who are using marijuana or drugs of any kind."

I hear in the later stages of addiction, these people actually start to believe that gays and racial minorities are human beings, and that homeless people don't deserve to freeze to death. Sickening.