Umbrella Academy is a Dark Horse published comic book written by Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance fame) and penciled by Eisner Award winner Gabriel Bá with colors by Dave Stewart. The first six issue story arc, The Apocalypse Suite, began in September 2007 and won a 2008 Eisner Award for Best Finite Series/Limited Series. This was followed by another six issue arc, Dallas, in November 2008. The members of the Umbrella Academy are a dysfunctional family of super heroes who reunite after the death of their unloving alien-father Sir Reginald Hargreeves (also known as The Monocle.)


The seven members of The Umbrella Academy are

00.01 Spaceboy (Luther Hargreeves) - his body has been replaced with that of a gorilla after an accident in space, he seems to have super strength.

00.02 The Kraken (Diego Hargreeves) - the most rebellious member, very good with knives, can hold his breath indefinitely, and hates Luther.

00.03 The Rumor (Allison Hargreeves) - very much a downer, married and had a kid but then got divorced and lost it, anything she says will become true.

00.04 The Séance (Klaus Hargreeves) - morbid but good spirited, he can levitate, read your mind, and talk to the dead.

00.05 No name given(?) - traveled to the future when he was ten only to discover that the world ends. after mathematically proving that traveling backwards in time is possible he travels back again. once in the present he does not age and therefore is the shortest group member.

00.06 The Horror (Ben Hargreeves) - died at a young age (no details on how). he has monsters under his skin and there is a statue of him in front of the academy.

00.07 The White Violin (Vanya Hargreeves) - doesn't seem to have any super powers but she loves music. as an adult she wrote the book, "Extra Ordinary: My Life As Number 7".


A film is also (reportedly) in the works. Dark Horse (the publisher of Umbrella Academy) currently have a first look deal with Universal Pictures and a tentative release date of 2012 has been announced. Gerard Way has expressed interest in bringing on Children of Men director Alfonso Cuarón and costume designer Colleen Atwood. Recently the screenwriter of Disneys Race to Witch Mountain, Mark Bomback, was hired to adapt Umbrella Academy for the big screen.