Every time I see spuunbenda's user name on here, I begin to hum "Moon River" to myself. It just seems to fit so well. This was one of those songs that was popular when I was a kid, and the concept of schmaltz was a foreign one. It had a catchy tune and some words that seemed to be real meaningful to the adults, so I dug it. And I still do. Even if it conjures up images of Andy Williams in Branson, MO, being held up by beefy chorus boys while spittle drools from his mouth as he enchants the grotesque geriatric gadflies with his rendition.

It was written in 1961 as a collaboration with Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini. I guess Mancini did the arrangement, 'cause I'm pretty sure Mercer wrote the lyrics. He and Mancini also wrote The Days of Wine a Roses, which is also a wonderful movie about alcoholism directed by Blake Edwards, with Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick. Anyway, even if you've never heard of Johnny Mercer, you've definitely heard his work. he wrote thousands of songs back in the middle part of last (or is it still this?) century. He put the words to "I'm An Old Cowhand." which I'm sure you've heard. He also wrote "That Old Black Magic."

Mercer was born November 18, 1909, in Savannah, GA, and died of a brain tumor at the age of 66 in 1976. "Moon River" is still the best thing he ever did, in my opinion. And, if you ever get the chance to hear Morrissey's eight-minute version, don't pass it up.



Moon River, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style someday

Old dreammaker, you heartbreaker
Wherever you're going, I'm going your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see

We're after the same rainbow's end
Waiting round the bend
My huckleberry friend
Moon River

And me.



CST approved