Bobby Jones, the greatest gentleman golfer who ever lived, and Clifford Roberts decided to hold an annual event beginning in 1934. Roberts suggested the event be called the Masters Tournament, but Jones thought this would be too presumptuous. They decided on Augusta National Invitation Tournament, and this was used for five years until 1939 when Jones gave in; that’s when the name was officially changed. In the nine pre-war Tournaments in which Jones played, his best finish was 13th in 1934.

Several decisions about this tournament which were made in the early days remain today.

  • Four-day stroke play for 18 holes each day instead of the then customary 36 holes on the third day.
  • Eliminating qualifying rounds.
  • Pairing the field instead of playing in threesomes.
  • Denying permission for anyone except the player and caddie to be in the playing area.

The first Masters was played March 22, 1934. Beginning in 1940, the Masters was scheduled each year during the first full week in April. That first Tournament was won by Horton Smith. In 1935 Gene Sarazen hit the "shot heard round the world," making a double eagle on the par 5 15th hole, tying Craig Wood and forcing a playoff. Sarazen won the 36-hole playoff the following day by five strokes.

In 1942, Byron Nelson defeated Ben Hogan 69-70 in an 18-hole playoff and the Tournament was not played the following three years, 1943, 1944 and 1945, during the war. To assist the war effort, cattle and turkeys were raised on the Augusta National grounds.

In the 1950s, there were two victories by Ben Hogan, and the first of four for Arnold Palmer. Palmer’s 1958 win began the tradition of Amen Corner. In 1965-1966 Jack Nicklaus became the first Masters champion to defend his title successfully. During the decade of the 1970s the two men who began the Masters Tournament passed away. Both Jones and Roberts left indelible impressions on the Masters and on the world of golf. People today still watch in awe as they see slow motion footage of Bobby Jones striking the golf ball. He looked somewhat like a small Babe Ruth, and his Georgia accent was just dripping from his mouth. But he never turned pro, and all of his accomplishments in golf came with no money and no strings attached. Think about that the next time you tune in an NBA game or watch a baseball player spit on the umpire.

In the 1980s, the Tournament’s youngest winner to date was crowned when Spain's Seve Ballesteros won in 1980, just four days after his 23rd birthday. Tiger Woods bested this by winning at age 21 in 1997. He also broke the scoring record for the event that year (a record which had stood for 32 years) with an impossible score of 270 for four rounds.

The most emotional Masters I have ever seen was when, at age 46 in 1986, Jack Nicklaus put on his sixth Green Jacket. There were tears in the eyes of all aging golfers when he accomplished this.

Augusta National is the sacred holy land for golfers around the world.

Much of this material was borrowed from masters.org.